8.29.2008

Movie Review: The Band's Visit

An Egyptian Police Orchestra travels to Israel for a performance at an Arab cultural concert. When their ride doesn't show, they find themselves stranded in the desert. Forced to follow their stoic, tight-lipped and (only seemingly) hard-hearted leader with suitcases and instruments in tow, they make the best they can of it, especially when they find a hospitable, witty, incredibly sexy single woman in a nearly deserted little town who takes them in for the night.


I was full-on in the hatrix when I watched this movie, and it brought me back around to the more tender places in myself and made me remember that I actually really like people and their crazy demons and foibles and all. There's just something so real about this movie, with just enough really awkward moments, funny moments, poignant moments showcasing little nuggets of fundamental human truths... And while you'd expect politics, there is a surprising and refreshing lack throughout the film. Early on, the stodgy old leader of the group keeps saying things like, "Be careful," and is obviously nervous about being Arabs who stick out like sore thumbs in their matching blue uniforms in this Jewish country. And then nothing happens at all save for the unyielding kindness of strangers set to a fantastic sountrack. I only wish the band had played a little more often, or a little longer. Because they were incredible.


The New York Times says it all better than I, complete with clips and pics.

3 comments:

MUG said...

Cool. I hadn't even heard of this! Thanks for the review.

Rachel G. said...

I have to say I'd give the movie a thumbs down. I wanted to like it sooooooooo much but continually fell asleep throughout the movie the first time I watched it. In fact, I wanted to like it so badly I watched it again, hoping maybe there was something I missed. But it was just as boring the second time. I have to say though, the stand off by the pay phone was pretty priceless.

Michelle Cerutti said...

Pay phone standoff was the best! After I wrote this I thought maybe I should go back and put a disclaimer in here that this is an incredibly slow movie, and that I have an unusually high tolerance for slow movies. A little chemical enhancement goes a long way too... But then I realized no one actually reads my blog, so it doesn't really matter. Thanks for the comment!